HCFC news & events


Staten Island, N.Y. – As the second half of the 2024 NPSL Regular Season schedule commenced this weekend, Hartford City (3-2-1, 10 points) needed a big result to snap a two-match losing streak. And with the Colts only grabbing one point from two previous road matches so far this season, they would need a complete team effort to not only secure that elusive first road victory, but also to stay within touching distance of the top of the North Atlantic Conference standings.

Backed by a first half goal from Evan Jones and a second clean sheet of the season by goalie Nate DiLoreto, HCFC came away with a 1-0 victory over New Jersey United AC (3-3-0, 9 points) on Sunday evening. The result bumped the Colts into second place in the Conference ahead of both New Jersey United as well as Syracuse FC, who fell to the division-leading New York Shockers 3-1 the day before.

Sunday’s match, which was moved to Hameline Field at Wagner College in Staten Island, New York after a late switch from the original location at St. Joseph High School’s facility in Metuchen, NJ, saw the hosts come close twice in the first quarter hour as both Sean Cadigan and Diego Navas came close to breaking the deadlock but their efforts, one from a reload off of a set piece and the other coming off of a setup from Jeremy Klinger’s driving run, missed the mark.

Hartford City were able to capitalize on the New Jersey missed chances as in the 24th minute, Noah Silverman was able to pick out Jones with a long ball over the top from inside his own half. The Holy Cross product and multi-time All-Patriot League ran down the long ball after timing his run perfectly against the New Jersey high line and slid his effort past the goalie to give the Colts the lead. It was his second goal of the season and sixth across his last two campaigns.

The Colts, while not being able to generate many chances going forward over the remaining minutes of the first half, did an excellent job of keeping New Jersey’s dangerous striker duo of Khaled Daoud and Diego Navas quiet as DiLoreto only had to deal with a couple crosses for the remainder of the half. HCFC did have one shot on target in first half stoppage time as Alonzo Clarke got on the end of a Jake Williams corner kick, but his header was tipped over the bar and the teams entered the locker rooms shortly after, with Hartford City hanging on to their narrow lead.

A common theme of the second half was the number of near chances both teams created, but none of which forced either goalkeeper to make any saves. Second half substitute Christian Dionne nearly snuck a curling effort past New Jersey’s keeper Max Pfaffman on the hour mark, but it was deflected just wide of the post. Evan Southern got himself into dangerous positions driving to the endline but all his crosses and shots were blocked for corners. On the other end, DiLoreto had to punch away and catch a few crosses but the Colts defense remained diligent in their work, not allowing the hosts to create much on the attack.

Inside the final ten minutes of the match, both teams were able to generate clear cut chances on the attack. DiLoreto finally was called into action in the 82nd minute as he snatched Sean Cadigan’s 25-yard strike and minutes late, Dionne nearly gave Hartford City an insurance goal but narrowly dragged his top of the box effort wide of the target. But there would be no further action towards either goal during the waning moments and the Colts wrapped up the three points.

Hartford City FC return to Trinity Health Stadium on Sunday, June 16th in a battle of first versus second in the North Atlantic Conference, as the Colts face the New York Shockers. Kickoff for this Father’s Day matchup is set for 7pm.

June 11 at 6:02 pm